Floo Network

Time Is An Illusion [Arantor]

Started by Arantor, February 15, 2021, 06:37:37 pm

Arantor

February 15, 2021, 06:37:37 pm Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 05:24:24 pm by Arantor
Time is an illusion, naught but a magician's curtain,
Hiding the truth and once pulled back, is gone.

Out of Character

Hi :) I'm Arantor, one of the founding administrators and chief technical wizard of Floo.Network. I like writing, various flavours of fantasy and sci-fi (obviously, including Harry Potter), and computing; for a day job I do website development and engineering. Floo, obviously, is a glorious unification of all of these hobbies together in one shiny place.

I'm also the lead developer on StoryBB - the software we use to power this site.

In Character

Harold Prendergast, first year at Hogwarts as a teacher, teaching Arithmancy of all things. He is a complicated and oddly private person, and part of his being here at Hogwarts is to take some of the very unusual and oddly specific knowledge he has acquired and share it for the greater good. Always happy to engage with students and staff on the fundamental elemental natures of magic, its theory, its practice and practical applications of science upon magic. Also known to be very partial to a delicious cup of tea or three.

Bobby Cashmore, returning to Hogwarts for his third year of tuition. Muggleborn, but tries not to let that stop him engaging with the world and wanting to know more about it. I also occasionally bring Geoffrey Cashmore into threads for a little father/son drama.

Deitha Albron, former student of Durmstrang, having somewhat turned her back on her family and upbringing, currently acting as a sort of debt collector for money.

Albus Dumbledore, current headmaster of Hogwarts School of Wizardry and Witchcraft.

Lincei, a centaur who lives in the Forbidden Forest.

Minor Characters

I also have a few more other minor characters that I bring for special occasions.

Peeves, the resident pain of Hogwarts Castle.

Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington (often better known as Nearly-Headless Nick), resident ghost of Gryffindor Tower.

K

proposed thread: Ren and Harold order the last scone at the same time. Harlod is torn between letting her have it but also has an insider tip it is poisoned. Scone battle royale ensues. Obviously this is a horrible idea for a thread but the best I got. Unless he wants to be published in the Prophet. Or a book?

Arantor

I think Harold would be up for that, though I daresay I can hear him asking if you're pronouncing it 'scones' or 'scones' because to him this is a terribly important question.

Longer term he might want to try getting something published in the Prophet, though the manner of publication he would likely be going for would be publishing monographs as academic papers.

That said I think there is plenty of opportunity for Deitha to get into a trading-words exchange with anyone...

Carolyn

February 16, 2021, 02:44:47 am #3 Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 04:10:03 am by Carolyn
You are a real wizard!!! I have no idea how you do the magic you do. I think I like the mystery though.

On a more serious note maybe when finished with second sheet the yaxley twins could meet bobby? So long as K is good with it.

Arantor

Sounds like a plan if K is up for it.

1 month later

Arctic

Hey! I had a couple of ideas for threads with Salem and Bobby, if you're up for it.
  • Maybe Salem and Bobby have been dormmates since their first year. Salem thinks they're friends. Bobby may or may not.
  • Perhaps Salem's parents could meet Bobby and think he might have a good academic influence on their son?
  • Maybe Salem and Bobby end up in an unsavory situation somehow, outside the safety of castle grounds. (My initial thought was Knockturn Alley, but anywhere would suffice, really. Maybe even just out past curfew). Either it was Bobby's curiosity or Salem's misplaced kindness, but either way, they're both in hot water now.
  • They find a little kid that's lost/stuck babysitting a kid for a short while. They do a good/bad job, and the kid either loves them or hates them at the end of it.

These are all on the assumption that they've never spoken more than in passing before. They could also be already friends (or kind-of enemies). I'm up to change that. This was just me spitballing lol, let me know if you have any ideas to build on.

1 week later

Arantor

Oh my, I didn't see this before :(

Well, they'd likely have been dorm-buddies since their first year as they're both third year Ravenclaws at this point, so it's likely they would have been; we know the dorms aren't huge because there aren't *that* many students in each year.

Bobby would likely think they're friends even if they aren't because that's just how he sees the world - though that wouldn't stop him being super shy at times.

I'm not super sure when Bobby might have met Salem's parents; he's from the Midlands, and a muggle family so there's a limited chance of him being down in the West Country unless he's somehow staying for a few days? I could see that being an opportunity for them to go off and have adventures in the local forest or similar where they end up getting into trouble just before term begins.

I think they're likely to be friends that are more than passing acquaintences but probably not 'best buddies' because there's probably one or two people around they both bonded with. I think the distance out of term probably wouldn't help with that though owls are more convenient than Royal Mail!

Though term starts in a few days so maybe that's their first thread, catching up after a summer break where they haven't seen each other?