Floo Network

Summer of 69
Swiss Cottage Manoeuvres

Started by Bobby Cashmore, February 11, 2021, 11:40:03 pm

Geoffrey Cashmore

Geoffrey wasn't quite sure if he wanted to stay here and potentially see more magic - or if he just wanted to go as quickly as possible. He felt so awkward and somehow ashamed to even be her; small wonder Maureen hadn't volunteered this year, though the biting books he'd heard about would put anyone off.

"Right-o, then." He thought about it for a moment. "Do you, uh, think we could see a little magic while I'm here? I know you can't do magic outside of school until you're older, but I should just...?" He believed everything his wife and son - and that man from the Ministry a couple of years ago - had told him, but he would have just liked to see it with his own eyes, just one time. "A little something?"

He paused for just a moment. "Of course, if we can't, we can't."

Bobby Cashmore

Bobby smiled, a little pleased that the decision was taken out of his hands somewhat, and a little reassured because it meant that the two of them would have something to keep them bonded just a little bit. He knew, right then and there, that when he left Hogwarts, the first thing he'd do would be to come home and show his father everything about magic that he knew.

He looked around at the shops and who might be able to help them with the most modest feat of magic.

"Mr Fortescue might be able to help us - would you like an ice cream?" Bobby had some of his pocket money left, enough to buy them both a sundae.

Without really waiting for an answer, Bobby led his father to Florian Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour - it was a sunny day but surprisingly, Florian was not so busy.

"Mr Fortescue? I'd like a large chocolate and vanilla ice cream, please? I'm sure my father would like something as well - but he's never seen magic before... would you mind using something like a Wingardium Leviosa to put the ice cream together please?"

Geoffrey Cashmore

Geoffrey didn't quite know what to say.

The ice cream vendor positively beamed at him while asking what he might like, and Geoffrey stammered out that he would also like a chocolate and vanilla ice cream. He was, on the one hand, somewhere past mortified at being put on the spot - but on the other positively excited to see actual magic in the flesh.

And Florian did not disappoint, having the ice cream scoops positively dancing almost to their own little tune as they scooped up the largest ice creams that Geoffrey and Bobby had seen in a very long time and Geoffrey just stood there, slightly open mouthed and applauded once the two ice creams were fully assembled.

Bobby Cashmore

Bobby smiled, paying generously for their ice creams, "Thank you, Mr Fortescue!" He handed his father an ice-cream and the two of them left the parlour.

"The spell he used there was a really advanced version of what I learned in Charms class, to levitate and move things around. But I think he's had a lot more practice than I have."

They ate their ice cream in relative silence as they walked back out of Diagon Alley and back down the Charing Cross Road.