Floo Network

🌷 Spring 70
🗝 Open
Just Leave Me Alone

Started by Jake Carter, October 14, 2021, 12:26:03 am

Jake Carter

Jake grabbed his most recently checked out library books, his remaining homework, parchment, and a quill and black ink. He decided to go to the black lake because it was usually pretty empty. Only after he had sat down and begun to write, did he realize that he did not want to do homework. But who liked homework? Practically no one did. Yet, they still had to do it. And Jake had to do it, too. However, that didn't mean he had to do it right then.

"I'll do it later," he said.

For some reason he was talking outloud. As if he wanted someone to come along at that very moment. That would probably happen due to his bad luck. The bad luck part was that the one time he didn't do his homework when he set his mind to it also happened to be the one time he didn't bring a good reading-for-fun book with him.

As he was wondering whether or not he should go back to his dorm and get a book, Jake heard something. It sounded like footsteps. He turned around, hoping that it wasn't a prank or anything and saw...

Riley Stagg

Riley, surprisingly, woke up quite early that morning and decided to get homework done so she didn't have to do it tomorrow. She grabbed everything she needed (parchment, quill, ink and textbooks) and headed down to the black lake as it was her studying area.

She walked down to the black lake and started humming a song to herself that her mom would always sing to her when she was younger.

She arrived at the black lake and noticed someone sitting by the black lake. she winced slightly when she stepped on a branch and smiled at the boy. "sorry... didn't mean to startle you"
Riley Stagg

Jake Carter

October 14, 2021, 11:11:37 pm #2 Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 11:16:41 pm by Jake Carter
Jake glared at her. He didn't have anything to do, but he would have rathered sit in silence without reading anything super intresting than talking to someone.

"You didn't startle me," he told her.

She hadn't startled him. Not really. Well, maybe a bit. But it wasn't like he jumped up and waved his wand at her. And he definitely didn't scream. The only feeling he was experiencing was annoyance.

Since she was probably going to say something else and then he'd have to answer, Jake decided it was best for him to figure out a bit more about the girl. So, he looked at her, trying not to be weird. She looked like a first year, so that made him a bit more sympathetic. At least she wasn't saying that just because he was young. Honestly, if she hadn't thought he had been startled, he may have been slightly more nice to her. But, that wasn't going to happen.

Riley Stagg

Riley was quite shocked to see a glare ok his face but then realised he probably wanted to be alone.

She nodded at his statement and quickly looked around to see if there were any spaces for her to sit.

She looked back at him and sighed before holding her books tighter to her chest "sorry if i bothered you. i just came over to do some homework as it's quite peaceful over here but if you want to be left alone that's fine"

She smiled slightly before starting to walk away over to a secluded area by the forbidden forest but still close to the black lake as she started humming to herself again.
Riley Stagg

Jake Carter

Jake found her humming extremely annoying, but at least she was going away. A tiny part of himself wanted to ask her if she wanted to study with him. His mum wanted him to make friends and he did too, but he couldn't. There was just something about him that made him mean to everyone. Keeping the reputation of a Slytherin may have been part of it as well. But maybe he could ask? It was unlikely, but didn't his friendship with his mother matter more than his reputation at school? He knew what the right thing to do was, but he couldn't do it. He just couldn't.

His mum had a thing for compromising. Maybe having two kids did that to someone. Anyways, Jake was pretty sure that he could make a compromise. He would tell her she could sit next to him, but he wouldn't act all happy. It seemed like a good in-between.

"You can sit here if you want," Jake said. "Just don't mess up my homework."

Not that there was writing on the parchment. But she didn't have to know that.  He scooped everything closer to him so that the girl could sit down. He really hoped that she didn't hum when she wrote.

Riley Stagg

Riley had stopped humming and looked towards the Slytherin. She smiled slightly before nodding softly and walked over to him. She sat down but made sure to gave him some space, knowing he didn't want her there willingly.

She looked out at the lake before grabbing her parchment and quill out from her bag before opening her textbooks to the right pages as she started writing down on the parchment, answering the questions for her assignments. She tried not to hum just in case it annoyed him and that she didn't wanted to seem like a nuisance and make him regret letting her sit down next to him.

She looked over the black lake to see some mermaids sticking their heads out of the water. She smiled slightly before waving at them, causing them to wave back. She smiled widely before going back to doing her homework. Once she finished one piece of homework, she moved onto the next one not wanting to waste any time on getting it all done.
Riley Stagg

Jake Carter

Jake was still not sure how to do his assigned homework. It was a bit hard to start. However, the girl was doing her homework and he didn't want to seem stupid. So, he opened one of the books and started researching.

When he was done with that, he began to write on the parchment, only stopping to look at the girl or at one of the books. He really hoped she didn't think he was stupid. He also hoped she didn't see his occasional glances. The whole thing was extremely uncomfortable, though the girl seemed to think the opposite.

It was hard to concentrate, so Jake opened a book and pretended to read. He was actually thinking about Taylor. Taylor was his big sister. He had always looked up to her and now he wondered what she would do. Strike up a conversation, probably. She was pretty nice and social. She always helped Jake - and anyone else - if they needed it.

So, conversation. That's what Taylor would say. But, how was Jake supposed to start? The only thing he could think of was asking for help with his homework. That was way too embarrassing.

He waited and thought... waited for the girl to say something and thought about what to say.

Riley Stagg

Riley felt a pair of eyes on her but didn't think anything of it. She carried on with her homework and going through her textbooks to make sure she din't get anything wrong or she would have to start all over again.

She looked out of the corner of her eye to see the Skytherin sending a glance her direction. She felt how uncomfortable he was and turned her head to look at him and sent him a small smile

She gently put her quill down before putting her hand out in front for him to shake "I believe we haven't met. My name is Riley Stagg. It's nice to meet you". She looked down at her hand before back up to him, starting to regret putting her hand out.

"What's your name?" She asked gently
Riley Stagg

Jake Carter

Jake was glad that he didn't have to start the conversation. Now, he just had to keep it going. With still being his usual self. He couldn't let her know that he wanted a friend. He was a Slytherin! Slytherins couldn't go around begging to be friends. He looked at her outstretched hand. He couldn't just shake it. He had to hesitate and seem to be a bit disgusted before shaking it.

And that's what he did.

"I'm Jake Carter," he told Riley. "And, um, it's... nice to meet you, too."

He hoped she didn't think he was soft or anything. As he was worrying about that, he realized that she must have noticed him looking at her. Why else would she talk to him? Well, that was embarrassing. Jake's hands were sweating a bit, so he wiped them on his pants, hoping she didn't think much of the motion. Luckily, he was pretty sure they hadn't been sweating when he shook her hand. He focused on her face - which expressed her emotions - and he thought about Taylor. What would Taylor do? Probably ask Riley a question like "What's your favorite food?" or "Do you come to the lake often?". The second question seemed better to lead with, so Jake decided to ask it.

"Do you like the lake?" he asked, being a bit quiet due to his nervousness about making a new friend.

Riley Stagg

Riley had noticed his facial expression but ignored it, thinking that it was usual Slytherin behaviour to talk to someone else that wasn't a Slytherin. She smiled at Jake and placed her hand back onto her lap once he shook it.

She went back to writing down her answers for her homework and started thinking. Did he not want me to be there? is he struggling with his homework? will he allow me to help him? probably not. he's a Slytherin after all. they don't like to ask for help. Riley shook her head before looking down at her textbooks as she carried on writing.

She looked a little shocked at her question before nodding and looked out at the lake "yeah i do. it's peaceful and helps me concentrate when i do my homework"
Riley Stagg

Jake Carter

Well, that was that done. Of course he couldn't stop there. He had to keep the conversation moving. Which was easier said than done. Especially when he was in the scenario.

"Yeah," Jake said. "It does help."

It wasn't the best thing to say, but he had no idea what would be better. It occurred to him that if he kept talking, it would be easier. At least, he thought that would be the case. He hoped it would be the case. But, was that how it would work. He didn't have any better ideas, so he did just that. Besides, he could always change tactics.

"Is your common room loud most of the time?" after he finished the sentence, he knew that was stupid.

Of course it is, he thought, inwardly wincing. Why am I so dumb? He would never say that outloud, but it was all over his mind. Like his mind was a piece of paper that had "dumb" written in every single centimeter of the page.

Riley Stagg

Riley was quite shocked to hear him agree with her but she smiled nonetheless and nods looking over the lake seeing the mermaids again and rolled her eyes at their teasing towards me.

Riley had never really spoken to anyone, especially boys, except for the mermaids. So the teasing was just to see if they would get a reaction out of me and see if it would distract me from the conversation. People had found her weird watching her talk to mermaids but she ignored them and carried on.

Riley looked at Jake and nodded gently "yeah it is. I would say Gryffindor would have competition for the loudest common room"

She chuckled to herself before looking at him with a tilt of her head "so... why do you come out here to the lake? is your common room loud or do yo just not like being around people?"
Riley Stagg

Jake Carter

The honest thing to say would be "both", but Jake wasn't sure if he really wanted to say that. Maybe he should be offended by her suggesting him not liking people. Yes, that was true. No, he did not want to admit it to this Riley girl. So, instead of saying something like the first example, "both" or the huffy version that came with a scowl, "no", he shrugged.

Talking to people was hard. You had to make them happy, but they - and you - couldn't be too happy. At least, that was the Slytherin way. It was possible that he would have been nicer if he had been sorted into Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, or Hufflepuff. Any of them probably would have gotten him some friends. Any of them except for the one Jake was in.

His family had been all over the place in terms of houses. His mother had been a Ravenclaw and his sister had been the loyal honey badger, Hufflepuff. Jake had been bound to end up in Gryffindor or Slytherin. Gryffindor was known as the greatest house in the world, but that wasn't really true. But, he couldn't think about houses because he was having a conversation and one of the worst things someone could do during a conversation was daydream.

Riley Stagg

Riley had decided to carry on with her homework as she waited for an answer for her question... well questions but they were all linked to one question all together. She had decided to do as much homework as she possibly could in the time span of today. So far, she had done Transfiguration homework and the extra work she was given. She was doing Defence against the dark arts but that was a massive disadvantage to her as she didn't understand DADA at all.

She struggled a lot with DADA as she either daydreamed, struggled with the defence spells or just didn't understand at all. She tried asking for help from others but they wouldn't give any. She was too scared to ask the Professor for help so she left it and just decided to accept the fact that she was gonna fail DADA
Riley Stagg

Jake Carter

Riley had continued writing on the parchment. Jake didn't want to spy, but he didn't know what else to do. Except, what if Riley say him spying? That wouldn't be super great. He knew that. But, he didn't want to get bored. Plus, the silence was a bit awkward. Right when he was about to glance at what she was writing, the thought that he could do something other than spying crossed his mind. He could ask what homework she was doing. It wasn't really a thing Jake was good at doing, but he didn't want to get caught looking at her parchment. He sighed, and hoped she wouldn't think he was weird by asking her the question he had in mind. All he could do was hope. At least he was kind of good at hoping.

"What homework is that?" Jake asked, hoping, once again.

I really hope it isn't charms, he thought. If it is, I don't know what I'll do. I'll be doomed.