Floo Network

🌷 Spring 70
[Inverness] The Voodoo That They Do

Started by Dominique Miller, August 08, 2021, 11:21:44 pm

Eoghan MacLiuthar

To say it was fascinating, that individuals whose families derived from other parts of the world found themselves in the United Kingdom, was an understatement. Listening to Dominique talk about her family of origin was more then interesting. She seemed to have a deep appreciation for her roots, and he could hear the pride that she had in recalling her ancestry. Similarly, Eoghan's mother's magical and muggle family alike immigrated to the United Kingdom. However, he couldn't say he felt the same pride she had. "We're kind of similar! Mum's never insisted on us knowing anything about the practice, though I remember watching my aunties practice when we was little." He looked down, "Me dad's a scots man, though."

Dominique introduced him to, and began explaining the proper practice of vodou. Some of it he was aware of, he knew from watching his aunties that you didn't necessarily need a wand as a a conductor to channel magical powers. He'd also been vaguely aware of the use of items that represented or functioned closer to individual symbols created or passed down by the practioneer. In that way, vodou was more intimate then the magic of this world.

Nevertheless, the memories were not strong, and he couldn't recall them in a meaningful context. It was shameful for him to recall, and he wasn't sure where that feeling and thought derived from. "Aye, I remember reading the passage about the practice of vodou and it's complementary nature to the muggle's religion...Catholicism?" It felt good when he could make connections. Assigning data to other data points would make the information stick further in his mind.

The food arrived, and she paused to let the server plop the plates and bowl down in front of them. "Come up if you need anything else." They replied before walking back towards the kitchen. Steam came off the soup in front of him, and he'd have to wait for the food to be temperate for him to eat. He was not the biggest fan of hot food. "What's a gris-gris?" He inquired curiously. Perhaps he'd understand more with context. The addition of 'spirits and blessings' interested him, too.  Much of the contemporary wizarding world was agnostic/secular from what he could tell. Eoghan had attended churches on Sundays when he stayed with his either side of his muggle family. They'd adopted the Protestant church and attended Sunday sermons.

He looked at her and her plate of haggis with neeps and tatties, watching to see if she'd actually enjoy the food. Maybe she'd be like him, and not actually enjoy it too much. Eoghan wasn't opposed to switching his plate with her to be polite if she couldn't eat it. It wasn't his favorite, but he could stomach it.

Dominique Miller

When it arrived, the food smelled... interesting. The neeps and tatties - common, hearty fare in the form of earthy vegetables. Haggis on the other hand... she wasn't quite sure what to make of it, but knowing that she was coming to Scotland, had read up on it a little, and as she understood it, eating the outermost layer, the stomach lining, wasn't particularly recommended.

"Well, this is rather flavourful!" she exclaimed.

She had a curious memory of a meal when young of some kind of gumbo with lamb sausages, that had been mis-made and lacking proper stock in which to stew. It hadn't been awful, and somehow that was what she was reminded of. Flavoursome, but less spicy than perhaps she might have preferred - but it was tastier than she'd expected once stripping back the stomach lining...

"So, a gris-gris. You might call it a talisman, or an amulet. A more... technical explanation would be to say that it's a physical object with what we might call a charm embedded in it. The tradition is to use them for healing, or for warding, for protection. Some of them are what we might call curses. Amulets and talismans wishing harm on another."

She took a large bite of haggis and lapsed into silence for a few moments, to think it over. "People talk about voodoo dolls, but they're not really either Haitian vodou, or Louisana voodoo. Sticking a pin in it... far as we know, that's actually from Europe."

"As for vodou integrating with muggle religion? It's always been historically shunned, at least on the surface. There's some under the surface stuff about worshipping higher powers, but Haitian and Louisana beliefs are about the higher powers being for guidance and blessing, and it's not formally organised. The Catholic church from what I've seen... it's a lot more fire and brimstone and Old Testament judgement."

She finished the neeps and tatties, and left only a modest amount of haggis lining on the plate. "Well, I don't know about you, but that was some fine food right there." She had been surprised at how tasty it was, once the outer lining was removed, because that wasn't particularly appealing.

"If you don't mind my asking, where do you stand on the higher powers situation? Seeing that we're wizarding folk and all, it's gotta have a slightly different perspective to the folks you went to church with?"