Floo Network

🎄Christmas 69
[Dún Laoghaire] Instant karma's gonna get you

Started by Declan O'Dwyer, June 10, 2021, 05:12:27 pm

Declan O'Dwyer

Christmas was approaching fast, turning even the quiet streets of Dún Laoghaire in a busy coming and going of people. Tierney's Gift Shop looked so crowded, Declan didn't particularly fancy trying to squeeze inside. Yes, he still needed a present for his mother, but there were still other places he could try. The trouble was, he had no idea what to get. His mother had everything, and wanted for nothing, save perhaps a more sensible husband. Last he'd checked, none of the stores in town sold any.

He felt mildly frustrated. He'd taken time out if his busy routine to find just the thing, and so far it wasn't going very well. His mind was darting back and forth between his shop in London and the one in Dublin. His staff should be able to handle things on their own, but he still felt like he should be with them, rather than out and about doing his Christmas shopping. And if not that, he wanted to reach out to Farren Abercrombie to see her again.  Not that there was any hope for him in this regard; she was so busy attending to her social obligations as culture editor. Didn't mean he didn't miss her. Didn't mean that he could stop himself from thinking about her.

He took a left into Marine Road, followed past the church towards Moran Park. There was a little art shop near the one of the muggle museums. Maybe there? Alas, when he got there none of it felt right either. He didn't like the paintings, and he couldn't imagine that his mother would have a different opinion. A heavy sigh escaped him. He'd been at it for a couple of hours. Maybe he just needed a little break and something would come to mind.

Galbraith's cafe around the corner was the perfect little refuge. Cozy, warm and serving that delicious apple cake he always missed when going away for any length of time. A nice slice, or perhaps a warm butter beer with nutmeg seemed to be just what was needed. Declan slipped inside following a witch that was also appeared to be in need of a break. Something about her was a little familiar. Declan craned he neck so see if he recognised her.

No way.

"Gosh, Mal," he addressed her. "Is that you? I... didn't recognise you there for a minute. What's bringing you back home. I thought you had a fancy place in London these days?" Or was it somewhere else? Didn't she do something for a paper these days. Was it Witch Weekly?

"Not seen you in ages! How have you been? Do you have time? Can I buy you a coffee or tea? Catch up for old times' sake?"

He smiled at her brightly. Seeing Mal again. Fancy that.

Mallory O'Cleary

Mallory surprised herself with a gift of her own. She went back to Ireland, where she was born. She visited her friends, her family, even went to her mother's grave. It was nice o be back at home. She had talked about the new things in her life in front of her mother's grave. Some might call it weird, but she liked to think she was still here. After that was done, she went shopping for some things she could give to her father. He would like it.

She went to a couple of shops. That was that. Chrismas was coming close, and Mallory wanted to be prepared. Being here was like an early gift. Besides, she deserved a break from the castle. She had several papers she still needed to grade laying on her desk as she looked through some coats. Kids always got reckless near holidays, they always got excited. She had to leave from that, it grew stressful and annoying.

Finally deciding she would get a nice hot drink, she walked out of the shop with some mittens for her father. She walked down the roads of Ireland, waving to people and stopping to chat a few times. She didn't mind be side tracked, it was always good to be home. It was also a good way to meet new people. She walked up to Galbraith's cafe. It was warm and cozy, the perfect place to be. She walked up, as she heard someone say her name. "Mal?" Yup that was her nickname. She knew that voice.

She turned around and her face lit up. "Declan?!" She hadn't seen him in a while. "I've been great! Yes! I have time!" She waved her hand like shooing a fly. "You don't have to pay."

Declan O'Dwyer

"I'm glad to hear it. You look well." His eyes ran over her features as he thought that something about her manner had changed. Mallory had always been an attractive girl, but there was now a hint of severity to her face; a touch of authority that suited her and made her appear more confident. He liked it. For a brief moment, his mind snapped back to their shared childhood in Dublin and the exasperated looks she'd given him when playing make believe. She'd never wanted to be the evil witch to his dashing hero, but, somehow, he's convinced her to play along anyway.

"I know I don't have to," Declan countered warmly, "but has it occurred to you that I might want to, Mal? And I figured I owe you one, oh, Great Sorceress of The Night, Summoner of Wind and Sea, Supreme leader of the Foreign Invasion."  He snorted a laugh recounting her imaginary titles, and cheekily slinked ahead of her in the queue.

"A coffee for me please, whatever the lady is having and, what do you think, Mal," he looked at her briefly, "two slices of that apple cake? It looks delicious, doesn't it?"

The girl behind the counter agreed, extolling the virtues of county Kerry apples and their perfect tanginess. Really, as far as Declan was concerned, she was preaching to the converted. He couldn't wait to settle down with his slice and dig into the cake with its buttery streusel topping. A piece of nostalgia on a plate.

Declan dutifully paid then looked for an empty table for them to settle down. There was a nice spot free besides the window and with that the matter was decided. "I'm in a bit of a pickle with Christmas shopping," he confessed conversationally. "Have you got something for your parents yet? I could really do with some advice as to what I should buy for my mom."

He plopped into the empty chair and then looked up at Mal. "Come on, settle down. Ugh, and listen to me going on about my silly problems when what I really want to know is what you've been up to. Tell me everything!"

Mallory O'Cleary

Mallory smiled as she stood next to Declan. Mallory usually didn't know what to do with compliments, it was always awkward. When Delcan gave her a compliment, however, she easily smiled. Thank you. As do you." She said, returning the compliment. She remembered when he was but a younger boy who had always wanted to play. For a moment she let herself think about all the memories they had.

She blinked and crossed her arms. She turned to him as he spoke. Great Sorceress of The Night, Summoner of Wind and Sea, Supreme leader of the Foreign Invasion. She rolled her eyes at him, but she was smiling. "I was always the villain." She said. She held out her arm. "Do I look evil?" She said, as Declan went ahead of her. "But I suppose I wouldn't fit the dashing hero." She said as she walked next to him. "That was all you."

She sighed and shook her head as Declan ordered. "One coffee for me too, please." She said. She nodded to Declan. She held her hand on her hip, defeated. "It does. It truly does."

She followed him over to a window seat. "A pickle, you say?" She clicked her tongue as she sat down. "I do. I got some mittens for my father so far. " She said, putting her bag down beside her. "Well... I'm the Charms professor at Hogwarts..." She started.

Declan O'Dwyer

It was nice how easy it was to fall back into conversation with Mal. Declan felt as though no time at all had passed since he had last seen her. He wondered why he hadn't been in touch sooner. Somehow, he'd always found a spurious excuse as to why not. And for what? He was just depriving himself of a good time.

Maybe, he could get her help on the whole issue with the Christmas present. She was a woman after all and properly had more of an idea than him. Not that it made any sense, but women always seemed so much better at coming up with gift ideas then men.

Except, before he could reply to Mal they were interrupted by the waitress, bringing their cake and coffees. He picked up his cup and took a little sip. Ouch, still to hot. Setting it down gingerly he gave Mal a slightly sheepish smile. 'HOT' he mouthed at her, but didn't actually say the word.

"Yes, ugh, you know, Christmas shopping is rather hard. I don't know what to get for my mom. I don't want it to be some random book or candle, but something that will really make her smile. Except, I'm drawing all blacks here today. Any suggestions for me?"

Wait, had she just told him she was now a professor? He'd somehow glossed over it while his brain was still processing.

"And wow, what?! You teach! No, surely not! I can't believe it." Except, now that he thought about it it didn't seem that far fetched at all. She'd been fond of helping the younger students at Hogwarts, hadn't she? "So what's that like? I don't think I could last a day. I get short tempered with my apprentices at Viridian and they're seventeen and eighteen. So do you like teaching?"

He picked up one of the dainty dessert forks they'd been given with their apple cakes and took a little bite out of his. It was divine, really as expected. A big smile spread across his features, really enjoying this little trip down memory lane.

"Oh, and you won't believe who else from school I met again recently. Farren Abercrombie-Rosier. She's the culture editor of the Prophet now and has a gorgeous town house in Belgravia. And she has two of the most adorable crups I have ever seen." He seemed to become more animated talking about her, perhaps giving away his feelings about the beautiful pureblood witch just a little.